Advantages of Broadband
Broadband can provide access to a wide range of resources, services, and products that can enhance your life in a variety of ways. These resources, services, and products include, but are not limited to:
Education, Culture, & Entertainment
- Broadband can overcome geographical and financial barriers to provide access to a wide range of educational, cultural, and recreational opportunities and resources.
Telehealth & Telemedicine
- Broadband can facilitate provision of medical care to unserved and underserved populations through remote diagnosis, treatment, monitoring, and consultations with specialists.
- Broadband can promote economic development and revitalization through electronic commerce (e-commerce) by:
- Creating new jobs and attracting new industries.
- Providing access to regional, national, and worldwide markets.
Electronic Government (E-Government)
- Electronic government can help streamline people’s interaction with government agencies, and provide information about government policies, procedures, benefits, and programs.
Public Safety and Homeland Security
- Broadband can help protect the public by facilitating and promoting public safety information and procedures, including, but not limited to:
- Early warning/public alert systems and disaster preparation programs.
- Remote security monitoring and real time security background checks.
- Backup systems for public safety communications networks.
Broadband Communications Services
- Broadband provides access to new telecommunications technologies such as Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) allowing voice communication using the Internet.
Communications Services for People With Disabilities
- Broadband permits users of Telecommunications Relay Services (TRS) to use Video Relay Services (VRS) to communicate more easily, quickly, and expressively with voice telephone users.