Wireless Telecommunications Bureau
Wireline Competition Bureau
Office of Strategic Planning & Policy Analysis
Maximize Consumer Benefit and Foster Competition
- Consumer Broadband Speed Test
- Mobile Broadband Speed Test Application
- Mobile Wireless Competition Report
- Pole Attachments Order and FNPRM
- Small Business Broadband & Wholesale Comp. PN
- Special Access Workshop
- CableCARD NPRM
- Smart Video Devices NOI
- Launch Tech. Adv. Grp. on Speed & Perf.
- Launch Speed and Performance Measurement Program
Create Strong and Secure Public Safety Communications Networks
Promote Mobile Broadband Infrastructure and Innovation
Accelerate Universal Broadband Access and Adoption
- Launch Public/Private Partnership to Maximize Broadband Use by Small Businesses
- USF Reform NPRM and NOI
- Lifeline/Low-Income Joint Board Referral Order
- E-Rate FY2011 NPRM
- USF Merger Commitments Order
- Lifeline Pilot Roundtable
- FCC/FDA Workshop and PN on Converged Devices
- Launch FCC Office of Native Affairs and Policy
- FCC-Native Nations Broadband Task Force 1
* This document reflects only proposed FCC actions, not those of other government agencies, and is not exhaustive of all 2010 FCC actions. The location and timing of actions in this document represents a series of targets that may be adjusted to respond to changing conditions as appropriate; items that span quarters are expected to occur late in the earlier quarter, or early in the later quarter. Does not include initiatives discussed in Agenda from Q1 2010 and earlier (E-rate Community Use Order, Rural Health Care Pilot Program Extension Order, Spectrum Dashboard Beta, and Tower Siting Declaratory Ruling). The completion percentage includes agenda items added during the year and items currently on circulation, but excludes three disability-related items that were superseded by statute.
1 Action addressed by the creation of Office of Native Affairs and Policy.
2 Action addressed by a Notice of Inquiry.
3 Superseded by statute: The 21st Century Communications And Video Accessibility Act of 2010, and FCC PN on the Act.
4 Originally scheduled for Q2, Q3, or Q4 2010.
5 Related action in Q1 2011.
6 The Commission announced its Broadband Acceleration Initiative and hosted the Broadband Acceleration Conference on February 9, 2011. As part of this Initiative, at its April agenda meeting the Commission will consider a Notice of Inquiry to seek comment and collect data on rights of way practices and ideas raised at the conference. The Commissions efforts will be informed by ongoing engagement with state and local government leaders.
7 Superseded by statute: The Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012.
Common FCC Regulatory Proceedings
The Agenda discusses a number of common FCC regulatory proceedings, including:
- Public Notice (PN): A PN is issued by the Commission or by one of its Bureaus and Offices to notify the public of an action taken or of the occurrence of an event, or to seek public comment on a matter the Commission is considering.
- Notice of Inquiry (NOI): A NOI is issued by the Commission to ask the public for information on, or to generate ideas about, a topic. A NOI is often followed by a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking.
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM): A NPRM is issued when the Commission is considering a change to its rules and regulations. The NPRM asks the public to comment on whether they agree with the proposed changes or to propose alternatives.
- Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (FNPRM): A FNPRM is issued by the Commission to seek further comment from the public when new issues arise in a proceeding after an NPRM has been issued, or the Commission desires additional public comment on issues raised in an NPRM.
- Order: An order is a decision of the Commission or one of its Bureaus and Offices.
- Report and Order (R&O): A R&O is a decision issued by the Commission to conclude a rulemaking proceeding. R&Os may adopt new rules, amend existing rules, or announce that rules will remain unchanged.